Taco Turkey Empanadas
Servings 8 empanadas
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 2 pounds 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 3 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers and cook for 3 minutes, or until tender. Add turkey and cook, breaking up, for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through.
- Season with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and garlic powder. Add chicken broth and tomato paste and mix until combined. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine self rising flour and Greek yogurt until a thick dough forms. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces (approximately 4.9 ounces each) and roll out onto a lightly floured surface until 6-8 inches in diameter.
- Divide turkey mixture evenly between dough (approximately 4.7 ounces each) and top each with 1 Tablespoon of cheese. Fold dough over the top to form a half circle, press edges shut with your hand then use a fork to crimp and secure the edge of each empanada.
- Place empanadas on prepared pan, then whisk egg and brush on the top and sides. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving size: 1 empanada
MFP: MFF Turkey Taco Empanadas September 2021
Serving: 8.6ounces | Calories: 408kcal | Carbohydrates: 47.5g | Protein: 31.9g | Fat: 10g