Copycat Zuppa Toscana
Servings 8 people
- 4 ounces uncooked diced bacon
- 1 pound mild Italian pork sausage
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds diced red potatoes
- 1 cup low-fat 1% milk
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 cups kale
- Optional toppings: red pepper flakes, grated parmesan cheese, fresh basil
- Cook diced bacon in a large pot over medium- high heat until cooked through; transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pot, add Italian sausage and diced onion and cook, breaking up the sausage, until cooked through and onions are tender. Add garlic to the pot and sauté for an additional minute. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, basil and thyme; stir to combine.
- Slowly stir in chicken stock and water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until fork tender, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and mix in milk, yogurt, cooked bacon and kale to the pot. Let cook until the kale is bright green and softened.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes, grated parmesan cheese and freshly chopped basil, if desired (not included in nutrition information, so log separately).
MFP: MFF Copycat Zuppa Toscana
Serving: 11.3ounces | Calories: 324kcal | Carbohydrates: 19.1g | Protein: 18.6g | Fat: 19.2g