Servings 6 people
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 ounces part skim fresh mozzarella grated or cut into slices
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 9×13- inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a shallow dish or bowl; set aside. Whisk together eggs in a separate shallow dish or bowl; set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise or pound until 1⁄2-inch thick. Dip each piece of chicken in egg wash then coat in crumb mixture and place in skillet, cooking for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove chicken from skillet and place in prepared baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, parsley, basil, salt and pepper then pour over chicken and top with mozzarella. Bake for 18 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and cheese is lightly golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh basil. Serve with pasta, if desired (not included in nutrition information).
MFP: MFF Chicken Parmesan
Serving: 9.2ounces | Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.3g | Protein: 43.7g | Fat: 15.5g