Slow Cooker Birria Tacos
Servings 16 tacos
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 dried guajillo chiles stems removed
- 6 chilies in adobo from a can
- 4 ounces red onion sliced
- 2 Tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes undrained
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 32 ounces unsalted beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 bay leaves
- 16 Mission Extra Thin Corn Tortillas
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season flank steak with salt and pepper then sear in pan for 5-6 minutes on each side. Place steak in a 6-quart slow cooker sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add all remaining birria ingredients to the slow cooker, then cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- After cooking, discard bay leaves and add steak to a large bowl and shred using two forks; set aside. Pour contents of the slow cooker into a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth then pour back into the slow cooker to keep warm. Add 1⁄2 cup sauce to the shredded meat to keep from drying out.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. To assemble the tacos, wrap a few tortillas at a time in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Top each softened tortilla with 30 grams of meat and 7 grams of cheese. Fold in half, ladle or brush some sauce from the slow cooker over the top and cook for a few minutes on each side in preheated skillet. Serve tacos with extra birria sauce for dipping.
Serving – 1 taco – 56 grams
MFP: MFF Slow Cooker Birria Tacos March 2022
Serving: 56grams | Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 12.6g | Fat: 6.4g